Thursday, June 9, 2011

Factors, and Planets, and Graphs, Oh my!

As I have been preparing for Bolivia, I have checked many things off my list:


  • Get visa (Check!)

  • Get shots (Check!)

  • Buy waterproof jacket (Check!)

But, in the midst of these preparations, I have been clueless as to what kinds of school supplies and teaching resources I should even think about bringing. Until yesterday, that is.

Yesterday, I learned that I will be teaching 6th, 7th, and 8th grade math AND 6th and 7th grade science this fall!


I have to say, I was really nervous when I first found out what subjects I was teaching because I do not consider math and science my strong points. In fact, this makes me laugh because anyone who knew me in middle school and high school knows that math was definitely NOT my favorite subject, and science was my LEAST favorite subject.


However, over the past several years, I have really grown to love both math and science. Science because it is so practical. It's life! Everything involves some kind of science. Plus, the more we know about science, the more we know about God's amazing design of our world and the worlds beyond.


I read the 6th and 7th grade science standards yesterday and some of the things I will be teaching are basic anatomy, rock cycle, and the solar system! So cool. I can't wait.

And for math, there are so many fun things to explore during these grades. Again, it's all so hands-on and real! Measurement and angles, negative numbers, probability, algebra...It's all around us. Plus, it's like a puzzle. You have to brainstorm and experiment and explore to find the solution. Who doesn't like puzzles?!

I realized some of the things my 2nd graders learned this year are the very first steps to what my middle schoolers will be learning next year! 2nd grade, you're well on your way to middle school!

Now that I know, you can be pretty sure I'll be using my free time for the rest of the summer to brush up on my factors and exponents and endocrine systems and...Does it make me a nerd that I'm excited about doing this over my summer vacation? Haha don't answer that. :)


*Just a few verses about the Maker of science and the Author of math:

"The heavens declare the glory of God. The skies proclaim the work of his hands." -Psalm 19:1

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I will praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." -Psalm 139:13

"By wisdom the Lord laid the earth's foundations; by understanding he set the heavens in place." -Proverbs 3:19


1 comment:

  1. This sounds really exciting and wonderful! I have a feeling you will absolutely love those subjects! And it's great how hands on they both are, that will make class so much more exciting! I can't wait to hear how teaching actually is for you once you move down there!

    ReplyDelete