Friday, April 22, 2011

A Very Special Day in 2nd Grade

Thanks to my super second graders from Mrs. Crowe's class, I am much more prepared to teach next fall! (If any of you are reading this, you know who you are!)


Here's the story: Today was my last day at the school, and I was sad to say goodbye to all of my students.


The day started out pretty normally for a Friday. We had our usual spelling test, reading test, and awards cermony. Even though we had a special assembly, there was nothing especially out of the ordinary about the morning.


After lunch, we went out for our normal recess. Part of our class was playing kickball, and I was watching the game with Miss Samantha. I rang the bell, and we all headed back to the portable, just like any normal day. However, something wasn't normal! When I walked in, the lights were out. Suddenly, I heard 19 voices shout, "Surprise!" The lights went on, and there was a beautiful cake that said "We'll miss you Miss Pitcairn" sitting on the table by the door.

Mrs. Crowe told me to sit down in our class rocking chair, and everyone gathered around as Mrs. Crowe handed me a HUGE bag full of teacher goodies! The tote bag was filled with pencils, paper, markers, crayons, pencil holders, staplers, colored pencils, glue, pencil sharpeners, rulers, paper clips, and more, all gifts from my students to help me get ready to have my own class next year. It was such an unexpected gift, and it made me feel very loved to know that my students were helping me to get ready for my adventure this fall. The gift my 2nd graders gave to me is also a gift to the students I will be teaching next year. My students made this very normal Friday into a very special celebration that I will always remember.


Thank you, Mrs. Crowe's class!

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you felt special! We wanted you to know how much you were loved by 19 second graders :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet!! Looks like they'll miss you as much as you'll miss them!! <3

    ReplyDelete